Law and CrimeNews

Jokowi launches non-judicial settlement program for gross human rights violations

Aceh – President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) launched a program to implement recommendations for non-judicial settlement of gross human rights violations.

“By saying bismillahirrohmanirrohim, this afternoon I officially launch the program to implement recommendations for non-judicial settlement of gross human rights violations in Indonesia,” President Jokowi said at Rumoh Geudong, Pidie Regency, Aceh, Tuesday (27/6/2023).

The launch of the program, the President asserted, is a form of the Government’s seriousness in resolving cases of human rights violations that occurred in various regions in Indonesia.

“Therefore, the Government has a sincere intention based on the recommendations of the Non-Judicial Settlement Team for Gross Human Rights Violations (PP HAM) to resolve gross human rights violations in our country Indonesia,” the President said.

On that occasion, the President also thanked the heirs of victims of gross human rights violations for their generosity in accepting the process of resolving cases.

“And to the victims or the heirs of the victims, I thank you for your generosity in accepting the process after a long wait. I believe no process is in vain. Hopefully, the beginning of this good process will pave the way in efforts to heal wounds as well as the beginning of building a just, peaceful and prosperous life on the foundation of protection and respect for human rights,” the President said.

Accompanying the President were Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Human Rights Mahfud MD, Ambassadors of Friendly Countries, Ministers of the Onward Indonesia Cabinet, Commander of the Indonesian National Defense Forces (TNI), Chief of Police, Acting Governor of Aceh, mayors/regents of Aceh, Forkopimda, community leaders and invited guests.

While attending online are victims and families of victims of gross human rights violations both from within and outside the country. Among them were from Bulgaria, Russia, Czech Republic, then Wasior, Wamena, Semarang, Jakarta and several other locations.

The launch was held at Rumoh Geudong, the location of the tragedy of gross human rights violations during the 1989-1998 Aceh conflict. .

The government has previously stated that there have been gross human rights violations in at least 12 incidents in the past.

Three of the cases were in Aceh, namely the Rumoh Geudong and Pos Sattis incidents in Pidie in 1989, the Simpang KKA incident in North Aceh in 1999, and the Jambo Keupok incident in South Aceh in 2003.

Sentinel

The Indonesia Sentinel - News from Indonesia >>> please contact us - indonesiasentinel21@gmail.com Follow us at Google News

Related Articles

Back to top button